Postdoc Funding Resources
(Download Finding Funding PDF)
Harvard Medical School Internal Funding Resources
HMS Fellowship Funding Alert
-The HMS Research Development Team has developed a current listing of upcoming fellowship opportunities and disseminates information about upcoming deadlines in a monthly email. Click on the link above to see the most recent Fellowship Funding Alert. You can also see the Funding Alert archive for a complete list of all open fellowship oppportuntities HERE.
Harvard University Funding Portal (HUFP)
- The Harvard University Funding Portal contains information on all active limited submission opportunity competitions throughout Harvard. Researchers interested in applying for limited competitions will submit applications though this portal.
HMS Foundation Funds
-The HMS Foundation Funds Program administers the nomination process for HMS/HSDM faculty and postdocs for funding opportunities from private foundations that are limited submission and require candidates to be nominated by either Harvard Medical School or Harvard University. Each year, several foundations invite HMS/HSDM junior faculty members and postdocs to apply for their fellowships and grants, which serve as critical funding at the early stages of a research career. Interested investigators must first apply internally through the HMS Foundation Funds, and a committee will select the final candidates who will then submit applications to the foundations.Harvard Longwood Campus Research Administration (HLCRA)
-The HLCRA website provides current research administration information for faculty and staff at the Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and the Harvard School of Public Health.
- Harvard Catalyst offers pilot grants to Harvard investigators who need seed funds for early stage research anywhere along the translational spectrum, from basic/preclinical investigation to practice- or population-based research.
Postdoc Office Funding Resources
Office of Postdoctoral Fellows Lending Library
-The OPF Lending Library has a number of books about funding funding and grant writing on loan in the Postdoc Lending Library. Click on the link above for a complete list.
NRSA Sample Proposals
-The OPF has a sample of previously funded NRSA proposals, some of which include reviewer comments and scores. The proposals are only available to view in the Postdoc Office. Please email email@example.com to set-up a time to visit the office. (Please note: this resource is only available to HMS quad-based postdocs.)
Searchable Databases for Funding Opportunities
- This database contains information about government, non-profit, industry and international funding opportunities in all fields. Pivot allows users to create their own profiles and receive customized funding alerts.
To access customized features of Pivot, you must first create an account using your Harvard-affiliated email account: http://registration.cos.com/cgi-bin/register
Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN)
- This database provides information on current national and international government and private funding sources.
Access for this database is available through Harvard's institutional subscription. It is available to anyone with a Harvard IP address - click HERE to search the database.
Foundation Directory Online (FDO)
- This database contains information on private foundations and the grants they support, as well as funding opportunities available through corporate sponsors.
Access requires a subscription. Anyone associated with Harvard should be able to access the Foundation Directory Online by going to http://library.harvard.edu; selecting “All Databases” and then searching by keyword for “Foundation.”
- This database includes all current funding opportunities from 26 agencies of the United States government, including the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and many others.
Additional Links to Funding Opportunities & Resources
NIH Funding | NIH Awards by Career Stage
NIH Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs)
- Established by Congress designed to recruit and retain highly qualified health professionals into biomedical or biobehavioral research careers. The NIH LRPs pay up to $35,000 annually of qualified educational debt in return for a commitment to engage in NIH mission-relevant research. Applicants must hold an M.D., Ph.D., Psy.D., Pharm.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.P.M., D.C., N.D., O.D., D.V.M., or equivalent doctoral-level degree. More information about eligibility requirements can be found here: https://www.lrp.nih.gov/eligibility-programs