Career Information and Training Opportunities for Postdocs
- Below contains links and information to general resources geered towards postdocs and early career biomedical researchers.
HMS Society for Translational and Academic Researchers (STARs), sponsored by the Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership (DICP).
The Curriculum Fellows Program (CFP) is an educational laboratory that both researches and enacts pedagogical best practices for the graduate students, postdoctoral trainees and faculty at HMS.
Harvard Catalyst: Education Video Library
- This online video library is a dynamic catalog of past courses, seminars, and lectures sponsored by Harvard Catalyst. The library includes videos from some of Harvard Catalyst's most popular courses, including Introduction to Clinical Investigation (ICI) and Introduction to Translational Medicine (ITTM). The video library will continue to be updated as new offerings become available.
Boston Biomedical Innovation Center (B-BIC) - Skills Development Center
The Boston Biomedical Innovation Center (B-BIC) is a consortium of academia, non-profits, government, industry, and venture capital designed to accelerate translation of early stage biomedical innovations into commercially viable products. Click HERE to their Virtual Classroom.
As an NIH National Center for Accelerated Innovation (NCAI), B-BIC provides grant funding, project management, coaching, and skills development to academic investigators for the development of devices, diagnostics, and therapeutics addressing heart, lung, blood, and sleep disorders.
JOB SEARCH TOOLS
-Naturejobs is the world’s leading dedicated science jobs board. The Naturejobs blog aims to be the leading online resource for scientists in academia and industry who seek guidance in developing their careers. Check out the Naturejobs Podcast featuring our Director.
Naturejobs Career Expos
-Naturejobs Career Expo - Boston, takes place on May 18, 2016. Other Expo sites include: San Francisco, London and Düsseldorf.
Science Careers: How to Craft a Winning Resume
- Learn how to craft the documents (resumes, CVs, cover letters) you need to make a great first impression.
NIH Guide to Resumes & CVs
NIH Guide to Cover LettersJobscan.co
- Boost your interview chances. Optimize your resume keywords and get past resume screeners.The Jobscan tool will analyze your resume and tell you whether it’s a good match for the job you want.
- ORCID provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every other researcher and, through integration in key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, supports automated linkages between you and your professional activities ensuring that your work is recognized.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT & EXPLORATION
National Postdoctoral Association
- The HMS/HSDM OPF is a Sustaining Member of the The National Postdoctoral Association. The NPA is a professional association that provides a unique, national voice for postdoctoral scholars. The NPA was founded in 2003, with an ambitious agenda to enhance the quality of the postdoctoral experience. Since its founding, the NPA has assumed a leadership role in addressing the many issues confronting the postdoctoral community that are national in scope, requiring action beyond the local level. The NPA is supported by its members and charitable contributions from those who support its mission, including the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
The NPA has established six core competencies to offer guidance to individual postdoctoral scholars who must seek out relevant training experiences, in collaboration with mentors, institutions, and other advisors who provide this training.
- Click here to become an affiliate member for free and unlock career development resources for "members only".
- Versatile PhD is an online community developed to help postdocs and graduate students prepare for nonacademic careers.Versatile PhD has recources to help you transition to a career field outside the professoriate, including tailored career panel discussions, detailed success stories, and sample job search documents that helped PhDs land great jobs. Harvard subscribes so you can access all the resources on their site.
- Click here to log-in via the Harvard subscription portal
- Propel Careers is a Boston based life sciences search and career development firm with the unique distinction of being dedicated to networking, mentoring and career development. Propel’s core mission is to help current and future leaders accelerate their careers and by doing so, impact their success as well as the success of the industry. - See more at: https://www.propelcareers.com/#/
ScienceCareers.org | Career Development Resources
- Science Careers is dedicated to being the world leader in matching qualified scientists with jobs in industry, academia, and government. We are committed to providing all the necessary career resources for scientists as well as effective recruiting solutions for employers. Our mission supports the American Association for the Advancement of Science's (AAAS's) commitment to furthering careers in science and technology.
PhDs.org: Science, Math, and Engineering Career Resources
- PhDs.org was originally created with the help of a number of students while Geoff Davis was an assistant professor in the Math Department at Dartmouth College. The site was made possible by the generous support of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and a Burke Research Initiation Award from Dartmouth College. Geoff has continued to run the site on his own since moving to Microsoft Research and subsequently to a consulting career. The goal of the site is help students to prepare for the changing demands of today's job market and to provide a voice for early career scientists.
NIH Virtual Career Center
- The NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education (OITE) has many career resources and videos/webcasts of workshops and science skills tutorials available online to postdoctoral trainees across the United States and around the world. In addition, trainees in the mid-Atlantic region are welcome to attend most OITE events in person. Finally, OITE presents workshops at the annual meetings of scientific professional societies. Please check out what the OITE and the NIH have to offer!
- As a postdoctoral scientist, you have to focus on your research while also planning for your future career. This section provides tools to help you explore your interests, narrow down career options, and get a job.
Scientist Solutions: An International Life Science Forum
- Scientist Solutions was started in 2004 for the purpose of promoting the worldwide advancement of science and biotechnology. They developed an internet discussion site or "Board" to provide scientists a resource for the exchange of ideas and information. The Scientist Solutions Board contains 31 categories of scientific disciplines that are further divided into discussion forums. It is here in these forums that scientists may interact with other scientists submitting questions, answers, comments, ideas, conducting polls and developing collaborative relationships.
Chronicle Careers: Tools & Resources
- The Chronicle of Higher Education is the No. 1 source of news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty members and administrators. Online, The Chronicle is published every weekday and is the top destination for news, advice, and jobs for people in academe. The Chronicle's website features the complete contents of the latest issue; daily news and advice columns; thousands of current job listings; articles published since September 1989; vibrant discussion forums; and career-building tools such as online CV management, salary databases, and more.
Massachusetts Biotechnology Council (MassBio)
- Representing more than 700 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, disease foundations and other organizations involved in life sciences and healthcare, MassBio leverages its unparalleled network of innovative companies and industry thought leaders to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs, events, industry information, and services. HMS is a member thereby providing you full access to all MassBio resources, all you need to do is REGISTER.
- MASS AWIS is the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association for Women in Science (AWIS), a non-profit organization. Our mission, like the National AWIS, is to support women in all scientific fields and to achieve equity and full participation for women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). By breaking down barriers and creating opportunities, AWIS strives to ensure that women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
- WEST is a learning community that provides women in the enterprise of science and technology with the inspiration, knowledge, and connections to reach their full potential.
Massachusetts Biotechnology Council (MassBio)
ACS Professional Development Webinar
- ACS (American Chemical Society) shares this webinar with Dorie Clark, who will show you how to develop a professional development plan that enables you to take your career to the next level. Vitae
- Advice and resources for individuals and for those who are supporting researchers' development. Includes information about the Vitae Researcher Development Framework.